Our big comfortable overstuffed chair finally overcame it's welcome in our living room. My new granddoggie came to visit me and decided to urinate all over the back and seat (I think she believes that she is a horse). At that moment I knew I was going to have to remove the chair but really didn't have an option of hauling it away. So, this is what my crazy mind concocted:
My husband and I carried the chair out to the back yard. I proceeded to remove all of the upholstery fabric, foam, and a million staples. This old chair took me 4 days, 2-3 hrs per day, to completely gut. I seriously thought about putting pieces week by week into the garbage can, but we have a fairly small can, so I wasn't thrilled about having this eye sore sitting around.
I had my husband get 4 wood pallets from work, and I went to town removing the wood from the pallets, which was also a really good patience builder for my personality.
First of all, I turned the chair frame upside down, then added wood pieces from the pallets to cover the floor of my box (mid-way). Then I measured and cut the side pieces and attached all around the outside with nails.
I was so excited to get it filled with soil and plants, so combined a mixture of peat moss, compost, and vermiculite and proceeded to plant a few flower.
At my house, you don't spend money unless you absolutely have to, so for now I'll keep the rustic wood look, until I decide to stain this master piece after all of the rain.
A few weeks down the road and this is my unstained garden box, growing beautifully, waiting for some landscaping projects and walkways around it's body of work.